Tuesday 17 December 2013





Who you?


So, thought I would get this done and out the way. Born 1951, my interest in photography came from my father.  I was fascinated by the smells from his darkroom which was in a shed in the garden. Took my first snap aged 8 on his old Leica. By 10 I could develop and print in a rudimentary fashion.

My father died when I was 11 years old and as I have got older I have missed him more and more. At 15 I joined the Royal Navy to see the world and by the time I finished 40 years later I had and then some. Spent several years with the Royal Marines and had some interesting times! Throughout I always had a camera with me and amassed quite an archive alongside my fathers,

When I left the Navy in 2006 I suffered the second big loss in my life. I turned into our road to be met by shiny red fire engines and flashing lights. It was our house and the roof ablaze. The cause was the sun through the velox roof window on to some old nitrate film of my fathers. So I lost both archives and we had a house with a waterfall feature in every room.

We took stock, fixed the house and decided Sue - my wife - would take early retirement and we upped sticks to the Dungeness area (Dungeness info & Dungeness visuals). Found a nice place on the beach, did some necessary work and then converted the integral garage in to a darkroom and study.

Now I can spend my days shooting, developing and printing. Plenty of scope here and always beautiful light.

Which is nice.

1 comment: